Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A New CD? Don't Let This Happen To You. Again.



Oopps!  Here I go again.  I'm writing this as a heads up and a reminder to some of you independent artists who record and make Cds.  I haven't recorded a Cd in five years.  In April, I recorded and released my latest recording,  "Between You and Me."  It's been only a few months and it already seems like the project is done and years old.  I sold as many to my fans via social media as I'm going to.  Sixty-nine (total downloads and hard copies).  Did I mention that I have over 2000 fans?  

Everyone knows that no one is buying music anymore.  Which means that a Cd has strictly a more prominent role. Promotion.  Sadly, promotion is the one area that most artists fail in. We put all of our energy into producing it, but the promotion is left to chance.  I realized that here I am again ready to make the same mistake I've made for every project I've ever done. 

I haven't given any more thought to my latest CD after the few sales halted.  What have I done to promote it?  Have I sent it to radio stations or the press?  "But I can't afford an official manufactured cd with a glossy cover. No one's going to write about a cd with a homemade label."   Legit concerns, but excuses none the less.  
True, effective promotion usually is costly, but I'm sure it would make a huge difference and it would aid in getting more gigs. 

Perhaps I should use kickstarter to raise some money to promote my current CD.  Whatever the case, I need to do something. I need to ask more questions. I need to put as much thought in doing something with this Cd as I did in creating it. Why?  Because nobody else is going to.   
Yup, cds may be items only sold on live gigs, but they are also, more importantly today, a promotional tool.

So yes. My work is cut out for me.  Seriously, I almost forgot about my CD.   Don't let this happen to you. Again. 

Here is my latest:

http://michefambro.bandcamp.com/album/between-you-and-me


http://www.michefambro.com

2 comments:

  1. Recently heard a guy in the business comment that when you come up with a budget for an artistic endeavor 50% should be for production and 50% should be designated for distribution. Well, that is if you are planning making any money at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that sending records and cd's to College Radio Stations targeted through the inforamtion in The College Music Journal was highly effective in getting airplay and jobs in that particular city or region. I suppose that computer files would currently be the way to send promotional items for radio airplay. But the information is still in the College Music Journal for your review. And, make sure you direct it ( music ) to the Program Director and the Music Director. After that I used to call the radio station to make sure it was received and then get the information as to where the clubs were to play that particular type of music. Since you have turned to Jazz how about 90.1 Fm in Greece,NY. Ed Trefsger is still there and a DJ. He used to work at WITR 89.7. I know you are not too keen on Rochester but I was using this as an example to promote yourself Region by Region in the entire United States. :) Craig

    ReplyDelete