Friday, March 23, 2012

Uncle Corey

My uncle Corey (my grandfather's brother) was into recycling years ago. It was called "junking". He had this huge orange wooden wagon that he would wheel around. He knew which neighborhoods were having their trash picked up. He'd take me with him sometimes. We'd go looking for metal and newspaper. The wagon was too big for the sidewalk so we'd have to walk in the street, which required the wagon to have a license plate.

When his day was done he'd return to the house and funnel all the paper through the window into one of the coal bends. My brother and I would live for the moment to jump in the piles a paper and look for comic books. He'd eventually tie up the paper into stacks. He always rewarded us with jelly beans. I love jelly beans : )

No comments:

Post a Comment